Mark Holmes is the author of Holmes Complete Guide to Stop Drinking Alcohol and the CEO of the Addiction Help Agency located in London, England. In this episode, Mark shares his personal story of recovery and how he was inspired to write this book and make a career change from education to helping people overcome alcohol use disorder.
What we talked about
- The reason people start drinking alcohol.
- Society’s attitude toward alcohol.
- The connection between self-esteem and developing a dependence on alcohol.
- The reasons for drinking change as we pass through different phases of life.
- Consequences of drinking over time.
- Alcohol is a poison.
- The danger of losing inhibitions.
- Why willpower alone is not enough to stop drinking.
- How to determine if you have a problem with alcohol.
- Founding the Addiction Help Agency.
- Using Cognitive Behavioral Therapy to stop drinking.