In this episode, we meet Susie Darin from the Online Soberish Book Club, a monthly, international, free, alcohol-free, sobriety-focused book club, open to anyone on the spectrum of questioning their relationship with alcohol. The group meets via Zoom, and in non-social distancing times, those in Tampa Florida can opt to meet in person and hang out with the others who join through Zoom. Susie shares her story of recovery and what led to starting the book club.
What we talked about
- Susie’s story.
- Seeking recovery support other than AA.
- Meeting people in recovery through social media.
- Importance of community and connection to recovery.
- Starting the book club as a way to build a community.
- Opening the club to anyone questioning their relationship to alcohol or other substances.
- Importance of recovery language.
- There are many paths to recovery.
- Books that Susie likes.
- Importance of service.
- Changing attitudes toward alcohol.
The Unexpected Joy of Being Sober, by Catherine Gray
The Abstinence Myth: A New Approach for Overcoming Addiction Without Shame, by Adi Jaffe, Ph.D.
Blackout: Remembering Things I Drank To Forget, by Sarah Heppola
Broken: My Story of Addiction and Redemption, by William Cope Moyers
Alcohol Explained, by William Porter.