In this episode, we will talk about sex addiction with David S., a member of Sex Addicts Anonymous. David will help us understand sex addiction from his personal experience, review the terminology related to sex addiction, and describe a typical Sex Addicts Anonymous meeting.
What we talked about
- Dave’s story.
- The nature of addiction and living a dual existence.
- How sex addiction differs from other addictions.
- The role of trauma in Dave’s story and the role it plays in most if not all addictions.
- How a person is introduced to an SAA meeting.
- What a Sex Addicts Anonymous meeting is like.
- The importance of online and telephone meetings.
- How SAA is surviving in the age of COVID.
- Dave’s problem with the religious nature of SAA.
- Dave’s secular perspective on the 12 Steps.
- The idea of that in recovery we recover the essence of who we really are (our spirit).
- The terminology used by sex addicts and how they define sobriety.
- Society’s view on sex.
- How recovery impacts the addict’s family.
- Regaining the trust of spouses and significant others.
- Sex addiction and recovery in popular culture.